Ties that Bind is moving http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php
TIES THAT BIND HAS MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE.
http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TIES THAT BIND HAS MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE.
http://thetiesthatbindus.jcink.net/index.php
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
We Have Moved
Ties that Bind has moved to a new home. Please follow this link: Ties That Bind
Twitter

Transfiguration-First Lesson

5 posters

Go down

Transfiguration-First Lesson Empty Transfiguration-First Lesson

Post by Elija Prince Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:48 am

"Confound it! Where did I put these blasted papers?" Elija cursed under his breath as he tossed another document into the burning heat of the fireplace on his search for the parchment he knew he had put somewhere on his desk.
According to his calculations he had but a few minutes to waste till his class was about to start, when he finally located the darkish envelope. He slipped it into his pocket, grabbed his bag and dashed through the open door of his office.

With a relieved sigh, he arrived at his classroom and noticed that none of the students appeared to be present so far. A flick of his wand opened the dark wooden door and Elija walked to his desk where he sat down with a weary sigh. It was just the first day of term and he was already beyond exhaustion, but he pulled himself under control again and dropped the detached mask back over his face to disguise his weariness.
Again, he flicked his wand to open the door which had fallen closed after his entrance and waited for his students to enter. Hopefully, there would be no dramatics this year... a futile wish no doubt.
Elija Prince
Elija Prince

House : Ravenclaw

Character sheet
Jobs:
Blood Status: Pureblood

Back to top Go down

Transfiguration-First Lesson Empty Re: Transfiguration-First Lesson

Post by Jocelyn Immorta Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:58 am

Jocelyn walked into the classroom and saw she was the first one to arrive. She looked at the professor as she took her seat at the very front of the classroom. Jocelyn wanted to talk to him for a very long time and now this was the moment to ask when she could meet him. "Good morning professor Prince, umm.....i was wondering if i could come by one of these days...I wish to speak to you in private..." Jocelyn asked politely. She really needed to talk to him so good behaviour would maybe help a lot. Jocelyn was already prepared for the lesson, her books were open and her parchment and a quill ready to use.
Jocelyn Immorta
Jocelyn Immorta

House : Slytherin

Character sheet
Jobs: stay at home mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:25 am

Sirius yawned, rubbing his eyes constantly. James kept nudging him to see if he could at least not fall asleep during Transfigurations, but it wasn't doing much. As they arrived at the class, and Sirius saw Jocelyn get in, he held out his palm. "Wait up..." He rubbed his eyes one last time, before passing his hands by his hair. "Ready..." He said, as they entered the classroom.

Both marauders took their seats at the end of the class, where the darkness laid. It'd help Sirius at least not take too much light. He hadn't slept much because of the quidditch practice section. James being captain of the team at least helped with them not getting out too late but still. As he looked around, he was surprised, that once more, they were not the last ones to arrive. He shrugged the thought off, simply resting in his chair, looking at Professor Prince.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Valkyrie Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:47 am

Luna slowly walks to Transfiguration and see's Sirius and his friends already there. She looks around and see's Jocelyn, she looks away sharply and looks at the Professor. ''Mornin' Professor.'' She walks to the very back of the room where she usually sat, the darkness concealing her well. She taps her military boots against the floor softly in a beat and she matched it with her fingers on the desk. It was so soft that the taps were unheard but there was still a beat to her movements. It calmed her down from the anger that started to arise in her.

Aurora walks in pulling her Ravenclaw jumper around her tightly as she shivered from the cold. She looks at the back and a bright smile forms on her face as she waves enthusiastically. Luna rolls her eyes and keeps tapping on the table softly. Aurora's smile faltered but grew back into a bright grin. She sits at the front. ''Good Morning Professor. I hope you are faring well!'' She greets him and smiles waiting for class to begin.
Luna Valkyrie
Luna Valkyrie

House : Hufflepuff

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

Morgan walked into Transfiguration class, with a stiffled yawn. The past few days had taken a great toll on her and sleep was little and far between. Still, Transfiguration was a favorite even if she wasn't the best at it. She slipped into a seat towards the back, nodding and smiling at James and Sirius. Seems Sirius was just as tired as she was.... Regardless, she took out her supplies and then propped her head in her hand, as she waited for class to begin.

----

Vixen entered the classroom and with a nod to Professor Prince, she slipped into a seat in the middle of the room. She didn't have anything against this particular class. In fact, Vixen quite enjoyed Transfiguration, and was happy to get to study it in a classroom once again. Her parents did a fine job teaching her, but this subject always seemed to be brushed off or kept to a minimum during the lessons they fashioned for her. It felt good to finally get some proper instruction on this subject.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elija Prince Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Watching the students filter into his room, Elija quickly outlined the lesson in his head. He wasn't in the mood for a little game of question and answer today, so the students would have to settle with a short essay instead. He wasn't surprised when the young Sytherin walked up to him and nodded slightly. "You may come by my office later and we can discuss everything."

He rose from his desk and walked around it to face his students. "Good morning, class." he addressed them. "Welcome back to another year of transfiguration. I'm pleased to say that many of you have decided to stick with this subject, a good decision, I will tell you." He paused slightly to make sure he had the attention of everyone. "By now, I believe you know how to behave in a classroom" here he let his gaze rest on several students, "and I expect you to use your common sense not to bring shame on yourself and your house. Now, today we will start with a little test about Conjuration. I want you to write an essay about this branch of transfiguration. Take extra care to expound on Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, as it is most important. If you wish, you may add at the bottom what you expect of this term and what you would like to learn in this class. You have till the end of class, but you may leave if you finish early. For homework I want you to read up on one or two conjuration spells which you will perform next lesson. Begin!" Without another glance at his students, Elija turned to sit back down and pulled out the envelope.
Elija Prince
Elija Prince

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Kiara walked into transfiguration and took a seat taking out her parchment quill and ink. She was curious what they would be going today. As the professor spoke and explain she shrugged and started writing silently, Thinking this would be uneventful Class..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Cameron walked in and took his seat. It was just a chair or two away from his friend, Kiara Kaiser. He grinned a silent 'hello' to her and took out his supplies for the class. Transfiguration wasn't his best subject, but hopefully he would do better with it this year. At mention of an essay Cameron wrote his name and the date on the top of his parchment, then grabbed a second bit of parchment from his bag to organize his thoughts. What all did he remember about Conjuration and Gamp's Law? Cameron dipped his quill into a jar of ink, and began planning out his essay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Morgan closed her eyes and sighed at hearing that it would be an essay right off. Well, there wasn't much she could do about it, so she picked up her quill and began to outline the points she wished to cover in her essay, trying to remember what she knew about Gamp's Law and how it applied to Conjuration.

----

Vixen was not thrilled at all to have to write an essay on their first day. Without a word, she took out parchment, quill, and ink and began to jot down concepts for her essay. After only a few notes, she began to wonder if she had enough to make this essay as complete as Professor Prince would want. Shrugging her shoulders, she set to work writing away...

Back to top Go down

Post by Selena Snape Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:24 am

Selena slipped into the classroom just as the bell chimed and took her seat by the door. The thought of writing an essay did nothing to brighten up her mood and frowning she got out her parchment, ink and quill to start on it right away, so she could get out of here as soon as possible.
Gamp's law was something she had studied quite intensely a few years prior, so she shouldn't have a problem with writing about it. Barely noticing that she was chewing on the tip of her quill, Selena jotted down some facts of what she remembered.
Selena Snape
Selena Snape

House : Gryffindor

Character sheet
Jobs: Healer in the Department for Spell Damage
Blood Status: Halfblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:24 am

At the sound of Professor Elija's comment, Sirius rolled his eyes. Behaving...pfft...how I miss the old days. He chuckled silently, but keeping focused on the professor's words. As he heard the word 'essay', Sirius felt the need to actually fall asleep. Alas, James nudged him once more, this time not a harshly, so Elija wouldn't notice, but still, hard enough so that Sirius could definitely understand he was supposed to be awake.

Sirius shrugged, taking out his quill, as his parchment already laid on the desk. He started writing what went through his head...

Conjuration. A branch of the transfiguration subject. Conjuration is different from most forms of transfiguration, as this one consists in transfiguring the desired object from 'thin air'. This branch isn't exactly easy, as few conjuration spells are taught to the younger students. Most of them are N.E.W.T- level, and are only taught to sixth years, and those above that year.

Although, as with all kinds of magic, there are laws that apply to Transfiguration, and of course, that includes Conjuration. The Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration is the perfect example. Although there are exceptions to this law. Food, Money, and things such as those can't be conjured. Body parts removed by dark magic have been known to not be able to be replaced with conjuration or any kind of transfiguration either. As a normal branch, it's special but has its limitations.

I know my fair share of conjuration spells, but this year, I hope to learn a few more. I expect to be able to perform them flawlessly by the end of the year.

Sirius yawned slightly, picking up the parchment. He noticed he was the first to finish it, so why not just pack everything. Picking up his parchment after placing his bag over his shoulder, Sirius walked up to professor Prince, leaving the parchment on the table. "Sorry if its small, but I had training last night professor..." he explained, as not even a smirk budged into his seemingly always happy face. He walked out, soon, followed by James who dared not to speak with Elija but simply let his parchment on the table as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Valkyrie Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:22 am

Luna groans inwardly at the mention of essay and the tip of her quill dances along her bottom lip as she thinks of what to write. She was irritated already and her whole body language showed this. She sighs and dips the quill in the ink, writing her name at the top of the page. 

Conjuration is a branch of Tranfiguration, distinguished by it's ability to transfigure the object wanted from 'thin air'.  This branch is not easy and most conjurations are N.E.W.T level and taught from Sixth year onwards.

According to the Gamp's Law of Elemental Conjuration, Food cannot be conjured as it's impossible to create it from nothing. However it can be multiplied, enlarged or summoned if the caster knows the exact location of the food and if it is still there. Food along with Money and other possible candidates for the remaining four are the Five Principle Exceptions. It's a great branch but has it's disadvantages.

I regret to say i only know basics of Transfiguration but i wish to know more by the end of the year. I hope to be more advanced in this lesson.

Luna stared at the pathetic essay in her hands but she just shrugged and packed her things. She puts her bag on her shoulder and walks to the front desk placing the essay on it. She didn't bother apologizing about her essay like she heard Sirius do. She pretty much explained it on the page so she just gave the Professor a small smile and walks out, taking her irritation with her. She had to go fly.
Luna Valkyrie
Luna Valkyrie

House : Hufflepuff

Character sheet
Jobs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:36 pm

After only a few moments of jotting down what she was going to cover, Morgan pulled out a fresh piece of parchment and began her essay....

In the fine art of Transfiguration, one of the more difficult divisions is Conjuration. Conjuration is the art of bringing something into existence from nothing, thus also being the opposite of Vanishment or vanishing something. Conjuration is also more advanced and more difficult than its opposite. Often, these kinds of spells are not taught to N.E.W.T level students, generally from the 6th year on.

As with several forms of magic, regulations have been put in place when it comes to this branch of magic. According to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, the only real, set in stone, rule is that food cannot be conjured out of 'thin air'. However, food already present can be manipulated by multiplying, enlarging, or summoning if the location is known and is likely that the food will remain when you last knew of it to be. There is also speculation as to whether or not something that is conjured will remain for forever. It is possible that conjured items are not permanent, and will in time vanish back to the nothingness that they were created from.

As for the other remaining laws, there are several different ideas that could fit into them, but none are solidly set as laws.

As for what I would like to learn this year, I would simply like to advance my knowledge and skill level when it comes to transfiguration.

Morgan looked over her paper, and once satisfied walked up to Professor Prince's desk and deposited her essay on the small pile of parchment. She added a smile and then turned to head back to her desk. Morgan packed up and followed the lead of Sirius and the others who finished took, and headed out of the class...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Kiara finally finished up the last paragraph of her essay and hoped it was alright.

"Conjuration is a branch transfiguration and one of the more difficult and advanced types. It allows the castor to create something from nothing, Such as a chair or something like water. Conjuration is not all unlimited though, there are laws governing over this particular branch of magic called Gamp's Law that limit what can and can't be done with Conjuration.

The most noted of these laws is that one cannot conjure food from nothing, it can be transformed from something else, for example a mouse to an apple. Multiple copies of said food can also be made, if you have one apple another can be conjured from it.

Conjuration from nothing is also not permanent in existence, if a Chair is conjured it will disappear after some time when the spell wears off. Unlike transformed things that were already into being they last for as long as the object or animal is intact or is vanished. Vanishment is the opposite of Conjurations it turns things back to nothingness at will. It is unknown if vanishment last forever unlike its counter. But to common knowledge most believe it is permanent until conjured again."

With that she got up and handed it in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexis Gamp Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Alexis was thrilled to have not been late having slept through her alarm. She opened the door a small smile still gracing her lips. Looking around her, she realised that she hardly recognised anyone, only thinking that she had seen a few of them around. It was a real pitty that she spent so much time on her school work rather than making friends. Sitting in a seat by herself she chewed on her lower lip as she listened to the professor while considering her options for the essay.

Conjuring is the magical practice of creating things from nothing, or 'thin air'. It is possible to conjure almost anything if the correct spell is known, though most of these are rather advanced.  Although difficult, it can be incredibly useful for creating places of rest to quenching a dry throat.

What is very interesting and hard to understand is how water can be conjured and be used to drink however, according to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, food cannot be conjured. Following the same Law, it is impossible to conjure money. It is also not possible to multiply money, though it is possible with food.

Personally, I only know one or two conjuring spells and would like to learn how to effectively cast many more this year.

Alexis rose from her chair and approached the table at the front of the class, resting her piece of parchment on it, before lifting her bag higher on her shoulder and leaving the room.
Alexis Gamp
Alexis Gamp
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Jobs: Healer - Spell Damage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content